Special Education Timelines in Pennsylvania
Special Education Programs/Services
In compliance with state and federal law, notice is hereby given by the Southern Columbia Area School District that it conducts ongoing identification activities as part of its school program for the purpose of identifying students who my be in need of special education and related services (eligible students). If your child is identified by the district as possibly in need of such services, you will be notified of applicable procedures. Individualized services and programs are available for children who are determined to need specially designed instruction due to the following conditions: autism/pervasive development disorder, blindness or visual impairment, deafness or hearing impairment, mentally gifted, mental retardation, other health impairments, physical disability, serious emotional disturbance, specific learning disability, and speech and language impairment.
If you believe that your school-age child may be in need of special education services and related programs, or young child (age three to school-age) may be in need of early intervention, screening and evaluation processes designed to assess the needs of the child and his/her eligibility are available to you at no cost, upon written request. You may request screening and evaluation at any time, whether or not your child is enrolled in the district's public school program. Requests for evaluation and screening are to be made in writing to the Director of Special Education/Student Services, Southern Columbia Area School District, 800 Southern Dr., Catawissa, PA 17820, or contact Jennifer Snyder at (570) 356-3510.
THE PRE-SCHOOL SYSTEM
- For children ages 3 to 5
- All evaluations must be completed and a copy of the report given to the parents within 60 calendar days of the parents’ consent.
- The child’s program (IEP) must be developed within 30 calendar days after the evaluation report is issued, and must begin within 14 calendar days of the parents’ approval of the program.
- Children in the pre-school system must be re-evaluated every two years, and their program must be reviewed, and, if necessary, revised, every year.
SPECIAL EDUCATION FOR SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN
- A student must be fully evaluated and an Evaluation Report issued to the parents within 60 school days after the parents’ written consent for an evaluation is received.
- The student’s program plan (called an IEP) must be developed with the parents within 30 calendar days after the evaluation report is issued.
- The child must be placed in the program within 10 school days after the parents have approved the IEP and Notice of Recommended Educational Placement.
- Youngsters in special education must be re-evaluated every 3 years, and their program must be reviewed, and if necessary revised, every year. Youngsters with mental retardation must be re-evaluated every two years.