The August 19, 2002 Board Meeting of the Southern Columbia Area School District Board of Directors convened in the High School Library at 7:30 p.m. with President Craig Roadarmel in charge of the meeting.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all.
President Roadarmel welcomed everyone, followed by a roll call of Board Members.
Elsie Bittner Karl Meyer-Absent Daniel Yeager
Dr. Alan J. Lonoconus, Superintendent; Joseph Springer, Business Manager; Tresa Britch, Board Secretary; Richard J. Roberts, Jr., Solicitor; Roy Clippinger, Bill Hoffner and Pat Shultz, Administrators; and members of the media.
Dr. Lonoconus reported on the following topics:
1.) He reminded Board members that the PSBA survey regarding the new initiative was due to be returned by September 9, 2002.
2.) Enrollment figures for grades 7-12 are as follows:
7th - 125 9th - 136 11th - 108
8th - 132 10th - 100 12th - 125
He reported that some classes are very large.
Pat Shultz reported enrollment for grades K-4:
K - 105 2nd - 95 4th - 105
1st - 108 3rd - 93
She reported that class sizes are okay at this time. Dr. Lonoconus apologized for not having the figures for 5th and 6th grades.
4. Dr. Lonoconus handed out a copy of a Resolution regarding tax reform for informational purposes.
5. Karen Sodrick, High School Librarian, put together a grant application to put the card catalog on the internet. We would be able to take advantage of our staff expertise and existing supplies, but would require some software upgrades. Dr. Lonoconus asked the Board for permission to apply for the grant. President Roadarmel asked if the card catalog would be put just on our network or on the internet. Dr. Lonoconus reported that it would be put on both sites. Parents could access the card catalog and help their children with their choice of reading material. Elsie Bittner asked if the Accelerated Reader books could be listed on the site. Dr. Lonoconus said he would check into that possibility. The Board agreed to allow the district to apply for the grant.
6. Dr. Lonoconus presented a plaque in appreciation to President Roadarmel for all of his contributions and support to the Booster organizations.
7. He requested an Executive Session following adjournment to discuss real estate and personnel matters.
8. He asked again about bids for the weight room and auditorium projects. The volunteer groups are questioning the status of the projects. President Roadarmel asked who would be developing the specifications. Mr. Springer responded that we already have them for the weight room project. President Roadarmel asked about the lighting and air conditioning project in the auditorium. Mr. Springer responded that an architect or engineer would be required to provide specifications. President Roadarmel would support soliciting bids, but an engineer would first have to be approved for the auditorium project. The Board agreed to solicit bids for the weight room project. Solicitor Roberts recommended that an official motion be made and included as a “Fiscal” item.
On a motion by Bittner and second by Dan Yeager, the Treasurer’s Reports were approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
MINUTES AND INVOICES
On a motion by Kreischer and second by Johnson, The minutes of July 22, 2002 (as amended), were approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
On a motion by Atherton and second by Dan Yeager, General Fund Invoices in the amount of $250,769.52 and Capital Reserve Fund Invoices in the amount of $119,568.32 were approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
ITEMS – FISCAL
Ø ACCESS - $4,226 (2001-02 carryover). Funds to be used to pay for additional time required for the School Psychologist to perform summer student testing and evaluation and for special needs aide training.
On a motion by Johnson and second by Atherton, solicitation of bids was authorized for the weight room addition based upon the plans presently in the district’s possession. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
On a motion by Dan Yeager and second by Atherton, the employment of James A. Becker for the position of Middle School Principal at an annual salary of $52,000, prorated, contingent upon the issuance to him by the Department of Education of an emergency certificate, was approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
On a motion by Atherton and second by Kreischer, the employment of Bonnie Lerch for the position of Registered Nurse (pending completion of all employment requirements) effective August 21, 2002, at an annual salary of $23,000, benefits per Non-union Support Staff Handbook, was approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
On a motion by Kreischer and second by Dan Yeager, the 2002-03 Substitute List (per Exhibit A) was approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
On a motion by Bittner and second by Johnson, changing Tina Kistler, High School Mathematics Teacher, from part-time (.63) to full-time (1.00) effective with the 2002-03 school year was approved. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
ITEMS – POLICY AND PROGRAMS
RECOGNITION OF THE PUBLIC
On a motion by Dan Yeager and second by Bittner, the meeting was adjourned at 8:02 p.m. The motion carried by unanimous affirmative voice vote.
Tresa J. Britch